10.01.2008

What goes here again?

Ah. That's right.

Stuff. About things.

Having recently learned that I have an audience beyond my close friends, I suppose I've been a bit skittish about posting. The existence of this blog a priori implies a certain level of "pretentious-dickitry" that I don't consciously perpetuate but I'm sure gets perpetuated--then again, using the term "a priori" doesn't help, does it? I'm not sure I know why--except that I know exactly why--since I write nothing here that I wouldn't say in a converstation at Nick's or an IM conversation during 886. Evidently, it "takes a lot" to be this "open" about seemingly private matters or intimate thoughts, but I don't see this space as providing either a personal look inside my head or "private" life. I'm not ashamed of anything I've written here or embarassed or humiliated or any other words with the same connotation that I haven't learned. Really, I just have precious little spare time to share my thoughts with the people I'd like. Very seldom do I have time to talk epistemology with KGF, aesthetics with DFS, politics with AJE (a lie?), rhetoric with JML (yet again), or video games with ZER. (And when was the last time I talked to anyone about literature--besides Atlas Shrugged?) Then again, even if I do have time, seldom do I have the chance to share my thoughts in writing--which is, arguably, where I do my best thinking. Enter: Blogger--a place for me to almost literally gather my thoughts, work with them, have others look at them, and rework them at a later date. Repeat ad infinitum--that's another one of those academic buzz words. This space also allows me to break rules about paragraphs, spelling, and grammar. Screw you, Mrs. Banks! I don't have to know how to spell "kneel." The computer does it for me! (Those two exclamation points were specifically addressed to BRT! And a third.)

So why are you skittish? you ask, eagerly awaiting a ridiculously, and unnecessarily, long-winded response involving at least three more ivory-tower-laden phrases and reference to Ayn Rand.

Well, I've had nothing interesting to say.

Yep.

For the first time since I was blissfully unaware of being "a fool satisfied," I can honestly say that am, and have been for a little while, "Socrates" satisfied. (The quote I just butchered was the only good thing Mill ever wrote.) This statement does not imply, of course, that I've figured everything out, that I've found the meaning of life and the key to happiness--which I have, it just doesn't imply it. (Oddly, the "key" to happiness is just to choose to be happy. Weird, eh? Not so much a "key" as a face-palm.)

When I have something to explore, I'll post it. Tomorrow? Perhaps. Late one night when I should be doing my 856 midterm? Even more likely. Before I graduate? Almost certainly. Ten seconds after this post goes live? I wouldn't bet on it.

Until then, go read other funny/interesting things. The intertubes are chalk full of them.

3 comments:

broken570 said...

an update? and i'm the first post! booya.

we talk epistemology? when did that happen?

that's not the ONLY good thing mill wrote. but it is horrendously tragic that many of my students find utilitarianism simply wonderful. i couldn't sell the deontology. and we had to skip aristotle's virtue ethics (which i think i now endorse) due to a falling behind and a lack of time. so this friday i will get 80 papers of students defending or refuting abortion (or possibly euthanasia) with some occasional references to that glorious consequentialist doctrine that, ironically, only swine uphold, despite mill's insistence to the contrary.

i know how it goes not having much to say. my blog posts quickly deteriorated. i say everything i need to say in my papers. and nobody should read those.

by the way...how's that thing going? i haven't talked to you about it for quite a while.

Jayemel said...

I think we talk about more than rhetoric, but maybe I'm just a foolish rhetorician who believes his work to be more important than it is.

I find it ironic that someone who believes in a philosophy that values action and not explanation has felt the need to qualify the existence of his blog.

Daniel T. Richards said...

JML: Objectivism values action quite a bit, but there's a reason Rand was a philosopher and not a CEO. Actions must have philosophical backing. They must have a reasoned reason to exist.

DTR