1.24.2009

Taxation is theft.
I am against theft.
Therefore, I am against taxation.

All taxation.

If only a crazy person can hold such a view, then I wholeheartedly accept my insanity and unrepentantly damn the sane.

She can explain. I don't have the time or the patience to repeat what's been said.

You may gladly pay any taxes you'd like to the government. Cut them a check. Send 90% of your paycheck. They'd accept it. They'd even tell you you're moral for doing so. It's just money. What's the big deal? It's just paper. Paper with no attachment to reality. With no attachment to production. With no attachment to value. It's nothing. What's one more percent? Two? Three? Four? Five? Six? Seven? Eight? Nine? Ten? Eleven? Twelve? Thirteen? Fourteen? Fifteen? Sixteen? Seventeen? Eighteen? Nineteen? Twenty?

The question is not whether you should pay more in taxes. The question is whether you have the right to make someone else pay more in taxes. What hold do you have over another man's life? His production? What right do you have to his time and effort? By what right do you hold a gun to his head and say that he must work for his "brothers and sisters?" Show me that right, please. I didn't say "should" or "ought" or "it would be nice if." I said "right." Show me that right.

Since you are undoubtedly tired of reading Ayn Rand quotes, no matter their truth value, I'll leave with some from another writer I greatly admire:

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." - Thomas Jefferson

"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." - Thomas Jefferson

"There is a natural aristocracy among men. The grounds of this are virtue and talents." - Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

"Force is the vital principle and immediate parent of despotism." - Thomas Jefferson



How far we've come.

3 comments:

broken570 said...

i couldn't help it and had to enter the fray. but because my response was so long, i just posted it on my own blog rather than clutter your comments.

Zane said...

I just want to emphasize one of Kyle's points to answer your argument.

"Is taxation theft if the taxation is a result of our voting?" Implicit in this question, voting gives the government the right to tax us. People who voted for Obama were, for the most part, aware of his intentions regarding the tax code. Clearly and thankfully, the American people don't share your sentiment. Even if I were to see his tax code as a detriment (say I'm making $300,000 a year), I would still take higher taxes for myself because Obama is better for the country than senile McCain and his Wasilla hillbilly. When I (and 62.98 million others) voted for Obama's stances on education, the war, the economy, and a whole host of other issues, then I (and 62.98 million others) gave him the right to tax us.

I feel no need to argue further because:
1. This point basically, from my viewpoint, invalidates the basis from which the rest of your argument is made.
2. Kyle's post is better than anything I can come up with.

Daniel T. Richards said...

By that same argument the majority could vote to do whatever it wants. There is, then, no point to a Constitution that protects individual rights. There is no such a thing as a "right" in a democracy--only what the people will at any given moment.