5.17.2009

If I desire a soda, I walk to the refrigerator and retrieve one. If I desire entertainment, I watch an episode of House or read a book or play a game or sing at the top of my lungs when no one is home. If I desire creative fulfillment, I start a project and work on it until I'm satisfied--often until it is complete.

But what if I desire something beyond my immediate reach? What if, for example, I desire a red velvet cupcake from Sprinkles in Dallas, TX?

I am not beyond fulfilling my desires no matter the cost--based on my rational self-interest--being aggressive to achieve a certain end. Except in one instance. In one "genre" of desire.

And the cupcake seems a terrible metaphor. Enjoy terrible metaphors. (Schrodinger had a cat. I have a cupcake.) If I desire a cupcake, assuming I've considered the physical and philosophical implications of consuming it, and, presumably (what an ominous word), the only thing stopping me from having said cake in a cup is my willingness to obtain it and the "finances"--both of which I have--then it would seem absurdly self-interested and even moral to plan a day trip.

Yet a soda is not a cupcake and a cupcake is not a cat. And so on. And on so. And what of the cupcake's free will? What if it won't be had even by willingness and "finances"?

And there it is. The question mark that negates transactions. The swirly sword of infinite resignation.

Oh, what the hell. Airplanes are fun. Trips are fun. Even if I don't return with the pastry.

---------------------------------------------------------

This is all true.

1 comment:

broken570 said...

...really?

i can't say i'm really surprised. people rarely stick to their diets.